HB City Council members have asked HBCG to consider building a second community garden on a portion of vacant land adjacent to Irby Park. This site has been has been deemed unsuitable for many purposes because it sits on a bog, but it is ideal for a community garden!
Some of the specific features of the garden planned include:
- Open during daylight hours only, but no earlier than 7am and no later than 8pm.
- There will be no electricity; no lights.
- Garden plots will be situated at least 300 feet away from residences.
- There will be about 100 plots 15 x 20, similar to the Atlanta garden.
- The garden will be organic. The use of synthetic pesticide, herbicides and fertilizers is prohibited.
- A fence will surround the garden and be secured with a lock.
- Vehicle access (probably along Dale Vista Lane) and parking will be limited.
HBCG volunteers walked through the neighborhood adjacent to Irby Park and surveyed the neighbor interest and support for a community garden. We found that a majority of the neighbors like the idea of having a community garden, and several of them actually want to have a plot. Community meetings were also held at nearby Murdy Park to discuss details of the plan. The residents who do not support a garden expressed concern for additional traffic and intrusion into the neighborhood, and options were discussed.
Watch for planning meetings to develop more details into the work plan. If you would like to get involved, send us an email!